Book Trailer for Pilikia

Friday, May 15, 2009

Hawaii leads the way

The state legislature recently passed a resolution marking Sept. 24 as Islam Day as part of the Isle's celebration of diversity. Hawaii already has Buddhism, Baha'i and Christian days so recognizing Islam seems like a logical step. Some people, however, still confuse Islam with terrorism and have threatened boycotts. Most of the critics are from the mainland. It's too bad Hawaii can't spread the Aloha spirit to the rest of the United States. The full story is here in the Honolulu Star Bulletin.

3 comments :

  1. Lillie Ammann said...

    Just curious, Mark. Do they have a Christianity day?

  2. Helen Ginger said...

    I like this idea. If you're going to celebrate one religion, then spread the idea to others. I wonder how many religions there are. Will Hawaii run out of days? Personally, I like the idea. I think it would be good to learn about other views and beliefs.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

  3. Mark Troy said...

    Hawaii is strong on Christian holidays: Good Friday and Father Damien De Voerster are two.

    Will they run out of days? LOL. When I worked there, I wondered that. There are all sorts of state holidays. As to the number of religions, that's anybody's guess. I think it is up to the practitioners of the religion to get it recognized.