Book Trailer for Pilikia

Monday, October 28, 2013

Give me a drink, get a copy of The Rules.

If Mary Fran's book club is reading a book in which food or libations are mentioned, they will try to serve them when they discuss the book. When they did Rick Riordan's Big Red Tequila, they served both Big Red mixed with tequila (a really awful drink) and Tres Navarre's favorite margarita.

I got to thinking about some of my favorite series characters who have signature drinks. For James Bond, of course, it was a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred. For Spenser, it was beer, beer, beer, usually Rolling Rock, but sometimes Amstel, Blue Moon, or Sam Adams. The Wire's McNulty drinks Jameson. (Once he was offered a Bushmill, but he waved it off calling it a Protestant whisky. When the bartender told him it was free, however, McNulty relented.) Travis McGee drank Plymouth Gin.

In The Splintered Paddle, coming out in June, Ava Rome drinks vodka and tonic. However, I think that in the next books, she ought to have a signature drink. I am open to suggestions. Ava is a private eye in her early thirties, single, living in Honolulu. She has travelled most of the world in the Army.

What would be her favorite drink? If you have an idea, leave it in the comments. Give me a few lines about the drink and why she would like it. Tell me where I can find the recipe, or if it is a brand of liquor, tell me what makes this brand so good.

If you have a Kindle and include your email address, I will send you a copy of The Rules. I promise to try all the drinks mentioned. If I like one, I might turn Ava onto it.

The giveaway ends on Thanksgiving.


7 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Mai Tai would be the #1 Hawaiian drink but Blue Hawaii is better and such a pretty blue like the ocean: blend equal parts rum and vodka, and a bit less blue curacao. Add pineapple juice and a small amount of sweet and sour. Serve over ice and garnish with pineapple. And how generous of you to try all the drinks ;) kateeileenshannon@gmail.com

  2. Anonymous said...

    Theresa de Valence wrote:
    How about red wine, Mark? My favourite is Zinfandel, though quite popular in California, it's almost unknown in the midwest. If wine is not popular in Hawaii, it would be an "unusual" interest.

    According to Wikipedia, "The Symphony grape is the principal grape wine made in the state and produces an off-dry, fruity white wine. Viticulture in Hawaii is made possible by the higher elevation of the area's volcanic mountains and ridges."

  3. Anonymous said...

    Bulleit Bourbon: smooth, bold and spicy, like Ava. The cool bottle design and exotic nature of Kentucky bourbon in Hawaii adds to the appeal.

  4. Justin Gustainis said...

    I think Ava should fancy Infamous Goose, a very nice (but reasonably priced) sauvignon blanc. I don't know if it's available where she lives, however.

  5. Craig Faustus Buck said...

    Maui Winery makes a semi-dry Pineapple Blanc wine that is "layered with subtle pineapple aromas and polished with notes of lavender."

  6. Anonymous said...

    Barry Ergang wrote:
            I'd recommend that Ava's preferred drink be The Glenrothes single malt Scotch, vintage 1975--see the description at http://www.whisky.com/brands/glenrothes_brand.html. This is a Scotch with a subtle vanilla sweetness that is never cloying and thus won't turn off those who dislike sweet drinks--and I'm one of them. I got to taste this a couple of times courtesy of a friend who was given a bottle as a gift, and I was blown away by how unique it tasted.

  7. Anonymous said...

    I agree Ava should have her own special drink. I thought Ava might like something several of my friends like, a Fuzzy Navel. I have no idea how to make it. My personal choices are margarita or Bailey's or Reisling, so I have never had a Fuzzy Navel--either personally or as a drink. Have you googled mixed drinks? I'm sure there are recipes for some doozies available.
     
    Carolyn
    Caroline Clemmons writes Romance and Adventure
    www.carolineclemmons.com
    Visit my blog http://carolineclemmons.blogspot.com
    Team blog http://sweetheartsofthewest.blogspot.com