Book Trailer for Pilikia

Monday, February 08, 2010

The Superbowl

I watched the Superbowl yesterday along with millions of other people. I thought it was a good game. I'm happy the Saints won, but I'd have been just as happy if the Colts had one. These were two good teams, with good people and coaches on both. The Saints ran some gutsy plays, especially the onside kick to start the second half. Overall, I think they had a little more intensity than the Colts.

The halftime show. I like The Who and have always liked them. Their music was exciting and edgy forty years ago. The Who should have performed in Superbowl IV. Last night, it was just nostalgia time and the song "Teenage Wasteland" was more irony than anything. Why doesn't the NFL bring exciting acts? I'm tired of television specials that feature geezer rock or American Idol winners. I'd like to see new faces, new voices, and cutting edge entertainment.

The ads. Most were boring with a noticeable tone of mysogyny. The really creative ad came from Google. It was a novel about an international romance told in Google searches. Very good. Hats off to you Google.

3 comments :

  1. Helen Ginger said...

    I "watched" the game, meaning I watched bits and pieces while doing other things. I missed that Google ad, but saw some of it on a show about the commercials. I'm with you, it was better than the ones I did see.

    I was rooting for the Saints. Not that I know much about football or the teams, but only because my kids went to the same high school at Brees. As I said, I know little about football.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

  2. Anonymous said...

    I was shocked to see the Google ad during the Super bowl. Google has built success through word of mouth and online advertising, so much so that "Google it" has become a standard answer to most question.

    The ad was one of seven in Google's online ad series called "Search Stories".

    http://www.youtube.com/user/SearchStories

    From what I read, Google liked the 60 sec "Parisian Romance" version so much they decided to bring it mainstream to the Super bowl audience.

  3. Kevin R. Tipple said...

    Very glad the Saints won and we don't have to hear for at least awhile now what a god Manning is.

    Liked the Google ad very much.

    I also thought the beer/book club deal was very funny though some folks seem to have lost their sense of humor and are flipping out over it.

    What struck me more than anything was the high number of self ads CBS chose to run. Their commerical sales must not have been that great since they had to advertise NCIS and the spinoffs, The Good Wife, all the CSI versions and their reality garbage so much.