Book Trailer for Pilikia

Monday, May 31, 2010

Adventures in ePub

I decided that I need to get Pilikia Is My Business into the ibook store. It's already available in Kindle, but I'm betting the iPad is the reader of the future. Even though the iBook store is limited right now, I think it will be a big market soon. Now is a good time to get into it. When LTDBooks closed, all of the rights to Pilikia returned to me, so there's nothing to keep me from making it available.

Apple's requirements for indie publishers are:

Requirements for Distributing Content on the iBookstore
Technical Requirements:
An Intel-based Mac running OS X 10.5 or later
At least 1 GB RAM
QuickTime 7.0.3 or later. This is so you can encode and deliver content using our dedicated software.

Book Content Requirements:
ISBNs for all titles you intend to distribute
You must be able to deliver your book content in EPUB format, passing EpubCheck 1.0.5.

Financial Requirements:
A US Tax ID
A valid iTunes Store account, with a credit card on file
Apple does not pay partners until they meet payment requirements and earning thresholds in each territory. You should consider this before applying to work directly with Apple as you may receive payments faster by working with an Apple-approved aggregator.
 I've got the first three requirements. I need new a new ISBN (I think). I just downloaded the ePub application. I'll let you know how it goes.



2 comments :

  1. Lillie Ammann said...

    Mark,

    A shortcut is to put your book on Smashwords, and that will put it into Kindle (if not already there), Sony bookstore, Apple iStore, and several others. You can use your own ISBN if you order an ISBN from Bowker or you can make Smashwords the publisher (not exclusive) and they will provide an ISBN for you.

    You only have to format the book once for Smashwords, and they convert it to all the different formats for sale on their site and all their distributors.

  2. Helen Ginger said...

    Good luck, Mark. I hope I read a post soon where you've managed to do it. I get lost just reading the directions.

    Straight From Hel