Book Trailer for Pilikia

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Corpse Flower

Lois, the corpse flower at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, is beginning to open.  You can watch the live feed here:

http://www.hmnsmedia.org/CorpseFlower/

The Amorphomphallus titanum or corpse flower is a gigantic flower native to Sumatra. It flowers only once and gives off an odor of rotting flesh to attract flies and other such creatures for pollination. There are very few in cultivation.  The flower at HMNS stands 5'9" and the bloom watch has been going on for about two weeks.

The Latin name translates into giant, misshapen penis.

3 comments :

  1. Helen Ginger said...

    I've been hearing about this on the news. Too late now, but I would like to go see it when it's open.

  2. Helen Ginger said...

    I saw that on the news. One year I'd like to go see/smell it. It sounds like a once in a lifetime experience, though.

  3. Helen Ginger said...

    Hmm, either you're deleting my comments or I'm clicking away before I make sure they post.

    I'd like, some year, to be there to see the blooming. Probably only want to do that one time though, since I've heard the smell is gagging.